Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Social Networks & Relationships... Is it possible?

Earlier this week, a good buddy of mine [who I met via twitter] told me he didn't want to be "one of those niggas who delete their twitter account because their boo asked them too, but reactivate it when they break up" and it kind of threw me for a loop.  Although, I can definitely see what direction he was going in, it bothered me because in the end, it is YOUR twitter.

Now, I am going to slightly contradict myself by saying this because I, on the other hand, have no problem deleting my twitter and/or facebook -- amongst some other "apps" that shall remain nameless; if my significant other feels that I should, BUT it has to be a mutual thing.  My thing with social networks and relationships is simply this though, YOU SHOULD NOT POST SOMETHING THAT YOU WOULD NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE ABOUT SEEING IF YOUR PARTNER POSTED IT!  period.  Social networks are supposed to be fun.  Everyone flirts, everyone laughs, everyone thirsts, but there is always a line that should be drawn when a relationship is thrown into play.

I had a conversation with another good friend of mine not long ago about how I conduct myself on and/or off twitter/facebook when I am in a relationship.  I always ask myself this question, "if ____ posted this, would I feel some type of way about it?" and you could draw your conclusion from that.  With that being said, you know your partner better than twitter/facebook does.  So, in asking yourself that question, keep in mind his/her attitude towards things you say and how he/she would perceive it.  Trust me, it will save you both a lot of time from arguing -- unless you like that type of thing.

My question to my buddy was "do you feel obligated to delete your twitter"?  In most instances, it cuts down on a lot of drama that I have personally seen it encounter into some peoples relationships but if it is all done respectfully, there should definitely not be any problems.  As I always say, you cannot control what other people do or the advances one may make towards you, but you can always choose not to react or simply lay it on the table.  Again, you're in the relationship, not them.

Let me know of you guy's take on the issue.  Would you delete your account if your boy/girlfriend asked you to?  

No comments:

Post a Comment