Saturday, November 9, 2013

Man Of God vs. Man

Before I start this post, I would just like to say that I am not or never have I claimed to be a religious person.  However, I do believe in God and have faith in the direction that He is leading me is a blessed one.  Whatsoever problems you may encounter reading this is always welcomed to start great discussion/debate, but if you feel personally attacked by the statements that will follow, you need to have that discussion with your God.  Thanks in advance.

I've been asked by numerous people to give an opinion on the little ordeal going on over this leaked sextape of gospel recording artist, Kevin Terry.  Maybe a week ago, there was a video that somehow leaked online and went viral within a matter of minutes.  The blogs and social media outlets blew up and all hell broke loose.  Initially, I honestly did not pay attention to any of it.  I thought okay, here's another gay man in the gospel industry -- and although I was a little intrigued by the video aspect of it, I still paid it no mind.  It was later brought to my attention by a good friend of mine, saying that he felt it were a publicity stunt to push the boundary between homosexuality and Christianity -- I viewed it as him saying Terry was trying to say that it is okay to be Christian and homosexual; also noting that Kevin Terry had an album that would be released soon. 

After a few days and seeing that the buzz kept going, I decided to see what all the hype was about.  Needless to say, after watching it I was neither impressed nor was I disappointed.  I viewed it as a couple who once were, but may have had a bad break-up and so damage had to be done -- and therefore it was.  From the sounds of it, Terry knew what he was doing there (but that's besides the point).  The heavily-moaned and explicit clip [thanks PopGlitz] clearly shows the artist performing oral favors for a gentleman who I am hoping sure of was his partner for quite some time.  There is no timestamp on the video, but you always have to be mindful of the skeletons in your closet.  You always have to be careful of putting your face on camera.  People will turn on you like *snaps* THAT!  Case-in-point... Will this tape have an impact on his career as a gospel artist?  I am more than sure it will.  As forgiving as Christians portray to be, he has been shunned. 

Most Christians are very judgmental.  Many of so, feel that homosexuality is a choice.  Like you wake up one day and say "I want to be a homo-" -- but it just does not happen that way.  Yet, the problem is not that Kevin Terry was giving head to some estranged man, the problem comes because he is supposed to be this sanctified man of God spreading the gospel of God through song and he is not able to act accordingly.  It is just unheard of.  I know one can say that this man can do whatever he feels, because he is grownNo sin is greater than the otherPray for him.  Yeah, all of that sounds good, but when you are put in a certain light, there are certain things you have to stay away from. Cameras being one of them; especially in the era of social media.

If you read some of the comments that follow the video on these various sites, it is almost disheartening.  I have no problem with a grown man being and doing grown things, but others seem to.  Don't judge me, you hear everyone make reference to nowadays but what are we all doing?  Judging.  We do not know what the situation between that man and Mr. Terry was.  Hell, half of you all are shacking, stealing, having pre-marital intercourse, but who tells you you are disgusting?  The issue of homosexuality will always be an issue between the hetero-, homo-, and religious community simply because we do not understand each others worlds.  We have to learn to cohabitate on this earth and learn to accept things the way they are.  I know this is asking much, and I am pretty sure we will not get to see it happen in our lifetime; but there is always something bigger that we should spend time fighting over.  Keep that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment