Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Ciara for Vice President.





Annex Magazine photo shoot

"I bought Fantasy Ride, how you gon tell me I ain't a fan?"

Those were the words I uttered to some angry tweeter after watching Ciara's 2013 BET Awards performance on Sunday.  I politely tweeted "Rihanna could NEVER!" and the Navy stood tall.  Most of you know I do not respond to half of my tweets as is, so you know those tweets in regards to Ciara and her "non-talent ass" received no reciprocation.  While I could not seem to figure out how anyone could dislike the performance aforementioned, it makes me want to root for CiCi harder.

Ciara is one of those artists where you either hate her or love her.  She doesn't give you a lot of variety in between to have a love/hate relationship with her.  The 27-year-old, Atlanta-representer, simply proved to me that she is in it to win it this go around.  Both songs, "Body Party" & "I'm Out" (featuring the incomparable Nicki Minaj -- this is a whole -nother story) are both club bangers.  You see, the don't call Ciara the princess of crunk & B for no reason. She may not be the best singer, but she is a performer.  The fact that her body has come a long way helps too.  She has always been slightly more muscular than I like women to look, but for her, it seemed to work out just fine. 

From the days of "Goodies" [please don't act like you didn't listen to "Goodies"], to "Promise", to "Work" (featuring Missy Elliot), to "Ride" (featuring Ludacris), Ciara continues to give you crunk
track, after crunk track, after crunk track, it is just never received well by the masses.  I rides with Ciara though.  I am actually a fan.

Someone asked me why do I feel Rihanna is more successful than Ciara, and the answer is simple:  Rihanna has more of an exotic look and sound [not saying that Ciara can't, it just is what it is], whereas Ciara is for the Southern region; she has a more "homie" look to her.  Would I buy a Rihanna album before I bought a Ciara one?  [if I were forced to chose] YES.  Whose concert would you rather attend: Rihanna or Ciara?  CIARA -- hands down.  Like I said before, Ciara is a performer.  She gets the crowd involved. 

Ciara will release her fifth studio album, Ciara, a week from today and I for one, cannot wait until its release -- July 9th.  I want her to succeed and do well with this album.  I guess we will have to see what the numbers are looking like two weeks from now.  In the meantime, peep the music video for "I'm Out" featuring Nicki Minaj below.



No comments:

Post a Comment